• No Standing on Ceremony

    Governor Declares Bali Mandara Hospital ‘Open for Business’ Minus Any Formal Ceremonial Launching

    (11/3/2017)

    Bali Governor Made Mangku Pastika has declared Bali’s Mandara Hospital open for business despite the lack of a formal ceremonial celebration or launching.

    Original plans for a VIP Grand Opening on Saturday, October 28, 2017, had to be abandoned when a large group of Sanur Community residents staged a parade demanding at least 10% of the employment positions at the new hospital be reserved for Sanur residents.

    Quoted by the State News Agency Antara, Pastika said: “My thinking is the hospital is ready, the operating permits had been issued, the medications are on hand, the doctors are ready, and everybody has been trained.”

    The Governor said that following the demonstration staged by Sanur residents, he, together with the Director of the Hospital and staff, participated in traditional prayers at the hospital. After the prayers were complete, floral tributes sent to the Hospital were removed to the side and the doors open for patients.

    The Governor expressed his disappointment that the protestors from Sanur chose to stage their demonstration on National Youth Pledge Day (Hari Sumpah Pemuda) when, in fact, provincial authorities met with Sanur representatives one day before than planned opening ceremony. “I requested that no demonstrations take place because this is a hospital and hospitals should not be the object of demonstrations. That is wrong. I don’t know the exact clause in the criminal code, but the demonstrators can be criminally charged. Demonstrating in front of a hospital it is like demonstrating in front of a place of worship. That is a crime. I urge people to be reminded,” said Pastika.

    Continuing, Pastika said: “I thought (prior to the opening) that things were calm. On the night of Friday, October 27, 2017, I heard the demonstrators would gather at Mertasari Beach and that they demanded that the Governor attend. (They threatened) that if they were unsatisfied with the results of the meeting, they would go ahead and demonstrate during the hospital’s opening. (I was certain) that they would not be satisfied if I had come. So, I asked Dr. Bagus (the hospital’s director) to cancel the launching, close the gates  and see what develops.”

    Pastika added that when Bali’s newest international standard hospital opened, a small child suffering from a fever and two foreign tourists came to the Hospital. There was also an ambulance call. Irritated, Pastika asked: “Just try to think, if we didn’t receive these patients, someone could die, who wants to take responsibility?”

    Pastika denied that any promise had been given by the Province to reserve 10% of all employment positions at the Bali Mandara Hospital to Sanur residents.

    Ida Bagus Gede Sidharta Putra, the chairman of the Sanur Development Foundation told the press that his organization is seeking a written pledge guaranteeing more jobs at the new hospital.

    Related Article

    © Bali Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.

    Sources: http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=17633
    Re-posted by Pande

    Cargo Articles
    Bali News & Tourism Informations
    Indonesian Cargo News